Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Brave

I will start with a song: “Brave” by Sara Bareilles.
I was listening to this song in the car after dropping my mom off at the airport; the conclusion of a lovely long weekend in Seattle.
Sara began singing,
Say what you wanna  say / and let the words fall out / Honestly / I wanna see you be brave
I was suddenly overwhelmed with all the emotions that have been flooding my mind the last month plus the pain of saying goodbye, and burst into tears.
Let me lay the scene:
My boyfriend, Preston, learned he got into medical school in Denver, Colorado mid-January. Yay! But also, what’s next?
I made the decision to go with him, leave my job at my alma mater, and move to a place that will be entirely new to me. Queue the panic.
I’m very excited to move somewhere new and to do something new, but change terrifies me. Well, more the process of making the change happen is what terrifies me. I need to find a new place to live, a new job, new friends, find a new doctor, a new bank… the list goes on and on. And that is just one half of it. Before I go, I need to pack  up my things, sell my car, change my address, cancel my internet, cancel my gym membership, and so on.
I tend to think about all these tasks at once, get overwhelmed, and freak out.
The biggest cause of my panic, though, is the job category. I currently work in Human Resources and have a wonderful team and work environment. I will be sad to leave, but am ready to try something new. That being said, I have no idea what that “something new” will be. I know that I’ll be able to find a job, but I want to find something that is challenging and different.
I also have this secret dream inside that is so secret I can barely even tell myself. I find the first and easiest reaction is to tell myself, “no,” to let fear take over, and to shut down before I even start. I don’t want to do that with this move. I want to allow myself to at least try to make my dream a reality.
This dream is to spend my time being creative, and hopefully turn that creativity into something lucrative enough to make it my full time job. I love writing. I love photography. I love making jewelry. I love food. I love fashion. I can’t stop thinking about how awesome it would be to follow  my passions rather than to have a traditional desk job in an office.
My plan is to let my passions run wild on this blog, and see where they take me. I want to share my adventures in my new city and hopefully inspire others to unleash their own passions, and ignore their fears. I invite you to join me on my journey, so follow along and I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment