Monday, March 17, 2014

Veggie, goat cheese, and bacon frittata

Some of the ingredients: zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, kale, eggs, goat cheese




Pinterest can be so awesome when you come across a pin that inspires you to try something new and different from the regular routine, and that is just what happened here! I saw this recipe and thought to myself, what a good starting point for a delicious meal! Perhaps one day I will follow the recipe to a T, but this go around I put my own spin on it. 

When I cook, I like to have a recipe as a starting point, and then I change it up to fit my taste and mood. This recipe calls for jalapenos, and I just wasn't really in the mood for a spicy dish. So voila! I decided to add more veggies, bacon, and goat cheese to make it all my own. I would highly recommend starting from the recipe linked above, and then go with what sounds good to you. It is really quick and easy to make, and tastes great. 

I love recipes with lots of veggies and protein all mixed in at once, and I usually make a batch big enough to last me for a few days. Working full time, it is really nice to have a meal to bring to lunch or to have ready when I get home (or both!). You bet I'll be eating this frittata for a few days to come, and loving it!

Side note: this is my first time trying to capture food on my new camera. I have a lot of learning to do! 

The final product! 


Veggie, Goat Cheese, and Bacon Frittata

5 slices of bacon
1 onion, diced
1 zucchini, sliced 
1 cup tomatoes
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup kale, chopped
8-10 eggs
1tbs milk
1/4 cup goat cheese
salt, pepper, and hot pepper flakes to season

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On the stove, cook bacon on medium heat in a cast iron pot (I used my Le Creuset small cast iron pot) until medium. Remove from heat, and add in the onions; cook until soft. Add zucchini, then tomatoes, mushrooms, and kale. Season with salt, pepper, and hot pepper flakes as you go. When the veggies are soft and the kale is cooked down, add the bacon back in. 

In a bowl, whisk eggs and milk with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into the pot of veggies and sir in goat cheese. Cover and transfer pot to oven and bake for 25-35 minutes. Once solid, uncover and broil for 4-7 minutes till top is toasty brown. 

Let set for 10-15 minutes; dish is very hot. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment